Under an Open Access agreement a fee is paid to support the immediate online availability of a book under the CC-BY licence (free-to-read). As we have a policy of never charging authors, this fee will have to be covered by your institution or funding body. The standard fee for Gold Open Access is $4,500. The fee corresponds to a manuscript of up to 70,000 words and includes:
- Peer review
- Copyediting and proofreading
- Editorial checks for consistency
- Typesetting, cover and flyer design
- Processing of up to 10 B&W images (responsibility for clearing copyright permissions rests with the authors)
- Set up as high-quality print-on-demand hardback and paperback
- Complimentary hardback copies to all authors
- Complimentary hardback copy to your institution's library
- Up to 15 complimentary copies for reviews
- Immediate availability on our website and selected repositories
Pricing is subject to negotiation for books that are longer than 70,000 words, contain more than 10 images or have other complex production requirements. A reduced OA publication fee may be negotiated if you can agree to an embargo period, for manuscripts that do not require copyediting or for which authors agree to forego royalties up to the amount of the fee.
We offer the option of Open Access in view of the significant additional visibility this brings to your work. It is important to stress that payment of an Open Access fee has no bearing on our decision to publish your work or on our promise to never charge for publication under a standard publishing contract. We understand that not all authors are able to obtain subventions to cover Open Access fees. We provide this option for those who can make use of this opportunity. We are currently working to offer alternative ways to finance Open Access. Fees may be reduced or waived for manuscripts of exceptional quality by authors affiliated to institutions in developing countries (please contact us).
Page last updated on October 21st 2019. All information correct at the time, but subject to change.