Call for Book Chapters: Center and Periphery in 21st-century Literature, Cinema, Art, and Media from Spain
Vernon Press seeks chapter contributions for a forthcoming edited volume titled Center and Periphery: 21st-century Literature, Cinema, Media from Spain.
The many cultures of the Spanish territory have interacted in more or less violent ways towards each other through history, which led to the use of the expression “center vs periphery” where center meant the Castilian identity and periphery was the other cultures of Spain.
This volume explores the many meanings of what center vs periphery represent today in literature, cinema, art, and media in Spain. Is there a unified Spanish identity? Is there still a tension between center and periphery? If so, what is that tension? What matters more in the center vs periphery mindset: linguistic identity, political identity, racial identity…? Are migrants, refugees, Spaniards born abroad… the periphery? Are women the periphery? What about BIPOC, LGTBQ+, and differently-abled
people? Are they the periphery?
We welcome chapter proposals on 21st-century Spain based on the dichotomy center vs periphery. Possible topics include:
- Spanish Film 21st century
- Spanish Culture 21st century
- Spanish Literature 21st century
- Spanish Art 21st century
- Cultural Studies with a focus on Spain 21st century
- Media Studies with a focus on Spain 21st century.
Requirements of the chapter
- Original unpublished work.
- Discuss any of the topics above in the context of 21st century Spain.
- Chapters need to be written in English.
- Chapter length between 7,000 and 8,500 words approximatively.
- Deadline for submission: January 31st, 2023.
Interested contributors can contact Amparo Alpañés at email@example.com
This proposal is due on January 31st 2023.
Page last updated on September 27th 2022. All information correct at the time, but subject to change.