Call for Book Chapter Proposals: Literary and Artistic Connections between Latin America and the US
Vernon Press invites book chapters to be included in a forthcoming scholarly volume on Literary and Artistic Connections between Latin America and the US.
In spite of the often-unfavorable political relationship between Latin America and the US, artists and writers have always managed to transcend conflicts, establishing friendships and connections, as revealed in their works, cultural exchanges, and in associations such as international book fairs, multilingual poetry festivals, and the PEN Club. The intertextual dialogues of the Chilean poet Nicanor Parra and the poets of the Beat Generation, for instance, not only reflect what Harold Bloom called ‘the anxiety of influence’ but also a symbiotic sharing of historical perspectives, literary movements, techniques, and approaches.
This volume aims to examine the intertextual and interpersonal relationships between US and Latin American artists and poets and the commonalities reflected in their works.
Possible contributions include (but are not limited to):
- intertextual dialogues between Latin American and US poets of 19th, 20th and 21st century
- commonalities in postmodern poetry (the use of colloquial language and a conversational style, the prominence of an iconoclastic stance, a tendency toward minimalism, the interface between the visual and the verbal, the inclusion of popular culture, the merging of genres, the re-readings and/or re-writings through translation, etc.)
- Reception theory in theater plays
- Commonalities in performance art pieces
- Surrealism art movement
- Latin American and US photographers
- Latin American literary journals
- Narrative Journalism
- Music and poetry
- Latin American and US cinema
Please submit a proposal of approximately 200 words, including a summary, preliminary source base/bibliography and a short biographical note. Complete chapter lengths should be between 5000-7000 words.
Deadline for proposals: April 30th 2021
For further questions or to submit your proposal, please email Lena Retamoso-Urbano at email@example.com
This proposal is due on April 30th 2021.
Page last updated on January 25th 2021. All information correct at the time, but subject to change.